Sunday, October 21, 2018

The Pain Of Test Automation

"So what do YOU think are the biggest pain points for test automation?" Someone asked me. I've been thinking about that for the last several weeks. This is the list I came up with:

Synchronization - Making sure the test doesn't get ahead of itself, and making sure that it can continue.

Resilience - Recovering quickly after the application under test changes.

Interface Proliferation - When test automation libraries get too big.

Networking Problems - Possibly my number one issue at my current gig.

Looking Stuff Up - How much time is spent looking up how to do things. A lot more than most people think.

Data Management - Getting consistent data into the application under test, mocking external interfaces, and so on.

Artifact Aging - What test artifacts to hold on to and for how long.

Reading and Maintaining Other People's Code - Coding standards, training, and so on.

The next few posts will look at each of those in a little more depth, including how I deal with that in my current work.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment